Twitter – Twitter – Twitter
Twitter is now mainstream and big time, if you have not heard of Twitter yet you must have been hiding in some deep dark cavern. Oprah Winfry, Regis Philbin and Ellen DeGeneris are all talking about Twitter. Nearly every local television news department in the USA has a dedicated Twitter specialist and all your friends with iPhones or Blackberrys are using it, but what the heck is it and how does it help your life or business?
- Twitter is communication on a global scale in 142 character mini messages.
- Twitter is Niche building at its best – Twitter about your niche and your audience will find you
- Twitter is a way to learn what the thought leaders in your industry are thinking and doing
- Twitter is the most productive and possibly the most time consuming social networking application you may ever use
- Every Twitter “Tweet” is indexed by Google – Content you control with your business name
- Twitter can be a customer service tool, a prospecting tool, an advertising vehicle or just a personal messaging interface – you choose one or all
Twitter basically is the worlds largest chat room only you decide with whom you chat and who’s messages you see on your twitter application of choice. Each message is called a “tweet”. Colloquialisms such as Tweeps (Twitter speak for another slang word Peeps or People) have sprung up around the culture that is Twitter. Twitter can be used directly from the twitter.com website or by downloading any number of different desktop or cell phone applications. I use an adobe air application called Twhirl and sometimes a more advanced tool called TweetDeck (TweetDeck takes up more room on the desktop than Twhirl. On my blackberry I use TwitterBerry but because of the huge popularity of Twitter there are new and exciting applications and tools launched every day (see below).
Follow me – Follow Who?
You can follow anyone on twitter, yet that person may or may not follow your account back. This is OK because say… if you were President Barak Obama and selected “follow” for everyone who followed you on Twitter, the messages would buzz by on the screen at blazing speed. President Obama has almost 1/2 Million followers on twitter yet he has submitted only 264 updates to his twitter followers mostly during the campaign. (Barak should update more – to be of value to his followers, but I digress….). Some popular or influential people have tens of thousands of followers, these people have the power to shut down unprepared websites with a single tweet if they include a url or domain name in the message. Gaining followers is the name of the game on twitter.
Twitter for Business
Twitter is a very interesting tool for business use. Remember though that Twitter is a Social Networking tool, not a Television ad placement. Posting Tweets with simple product information or hawking your wares in an old fashioned marketing manner will gain you little in the way of influential followers. Your goal is to inspire curiosity and trust, not sell a widget with each tweet. Smart twitter users keep seperate twitter accounts for different interests such as business and personal. (You don’t want your business followers reading some of those personal tweets – now do you?). I maintain several Twitter accounts under different names for business and personal reasons.
- iBusinessLogic – Is my web development business twitter account – This is also tied in with my iBusinessLogic Blog and will tweet new posts.
- Scott_Pooler – Is mostly my personal account but I do tweet about business there as well (Tied in with the Trading Assistant Journal)
- GlobalLinkUSA – Twitter account of MerchantRun GlobalLink in the USA – This account is used to update users of the software as well as promotion of the Software as a Service eBay Marketplaces management tool.
- BonanzleStore – BonanzleStore is not yet launched but this account is tied in with Bonanzle-Webstore.com to promote the new BonanzleStore platform providing Bonanzle merchants with an enhanced experience for eCommerce sales.
- BonanzleUp! – BonanzleUp! is the Twitter account of BonanazleUp.com a central location for Bonanzle Meetup event organizers to plan and discuss localized Bonanzle merchants conferences around the country.
As you can see, I believe in the use of Twitter for many different reasons and applications. I do not see it as a time waster or simply a fad or passing tool kids use. Twitter is used regularly by Corporate executives and housewives alike, it can be whatever you want it to be yet for business and Internet business in particular it has become the
most valuable relationship building tool I have ever experienced. I converse regularly with people who I have met on Twitter and these people have not only been helpful but they have also sent me referrals and business. Jason Calacanis of Mahalo.com and formerly Weblogs Inc has said that every follower on twitter could be worth a dollar in your pocket. I can state that Jason is absolutely correct in that statement if not possibly understating the value, becuase I have personally seen the Twitter income effect add to my bottom line.
Whether you want to achieve your Twitter goals, or just use it as a tool to achieve others, these tools will help you get there.
If your goal is to be popular and influential on Twitter, be sure to check out these tools that will tell you how you’re doing.
- Twitter Grader: Learn your Twitter grade, your localTwitter Elite, and find new people to follow through Twitter Grader.
- Twitterholic: Check out the top Twitter users and find out your Twitter stats on Twitterholic.
- TweetStats: TweetStats offers a graphical analysis of your Twitter stats.
- TwitterFriends: Carefully measure your Twitter conversations using Twitter Friends.
- Twinfluence:Twinfluence will measure your Twitter influence based on reach, velocity, and social capital.
- Tweetwasters:Find out how much time you and other users waste on Twitter.
- Tweet-Rank: Learn about the quality of your tweets by finding out which ones won or lost followers.
- Mr. Milestone: Get a tweet when you reach various milestones using this Twitter tool.
- Retweetrank: Find out how many retweets you and other Twitter users have through this service.
With these tools, you and gather information for market research, blog posts, and your own simple curiosity.
- Tweetbeep: With Tweetbeep, you can set up alerts that will help you keep track of keywords on Twitter.
- @myflightinfo:Use @myflightinfo to stay updated on your flight’s status.
- Twitterverse:Check out archived timelines and tweets through Twitterverse.
- Twitscoop:Twitscoop shares what’s hot on Twitter at any given moment.
- Twitbuzz:Twitbuzz tracks the latest conversations as well as popular Twitterlinks.
- StrawPoll:Use StrawPoll to make sharing your opinion as easy as sending an @reply.
- Retweetist:This service ranks the hottest links being retweeted on Twitter.
- Monitter:Get real time keyword monitoring on Twitter from Monitter.
- TweetNews:TweetNews ranks stories based on the amount of related tweets.
- TwitterBuzz:TwitterBuzz will tell you what’s being linked to the most onTwitter.
- Tweetscan:Set up Tweetscan to make sure you don’t miss any @replies,and to get alerted of your search queries.
Network Building & Management
Find more relevant Twitter users with the help of these tools.
- Twitter Local: With this service, you can see tweets from Twitter users in a specific location.
- Twubble:Twubble will expand your Twitter bubble, picking out people you may like to follow.
- MyCleenr:Sort your friends by their last tweets, and you can get rid of the inactive and useless accounts you’re following.
- Follow Cost: This tool will tell you how much effortit takes to follow someone.
- Tweepler:Use Tweepler to organize your tweeps based on whether you’re following them or not.
- Just Tweet It: Find Tweeple, tools, Twitter botsand more through this directory.
- TweetWheel:TweetWheel will help you discover which of your Twitter friends know each other.
- SocialToo:SocialToo will help you keep track of all of the people who have followed or unfollowed you.
- Twitoria:Reduce your clutter on Twitter by finding your friends that haven’t tweeted in a long time.
- TwitDir:With TwitDir, you’ll be able to search for people, and exploring categories including top followers and updaters.
- Who Should I Follow?: Using this site, you can get good recommendations for Tweeps to follow.
- Nearbytweets:Learn about all of the Twitter users in a specific area with the help of Nearbytweets.
- Twellow:Find Twitter users in a specific industry using this service.
- Mr. Tweet:Mr. Tweet is a personal networking assistant for Twitter, helping you find relevant followers.
- Qwitter:Qwitter will help you manage your network by sending an alert when a person unfollows you.
Save your time and cull your Twitter list with the help of these tools.
- Summize:Retrieve information on Twitter quickly to search Twitter in real time.
- Tweet O’Clock: Trying to reach someone? Tweet O’Clock will help you find the best time to get theirattention.
- Just Signal: Set up a filter using Just Signal toget only the tweets that discuss the keywords you’d like toread about.
- TweepSearch:Put your Twitter network to good use and search your followers forspecific parameters.
- Friend or Follow: Manage your Twitter contacts andfind out who’s not following you back through Friend orFollow.
- TwitResponse:TwitResponse makes it easy for you to schedule the delivery of yourtweets ahead of time.
- TwitterSnooze:Put the pause button on a particular user for a while with TwitterSnooze.
- Twitterless:Get notified when someone stops following you with Twitterless.
- Twilert:Track specific keywords to receive alerts for using Twilert.
- Tweetdeck:Tweetdeck has a groups function that will help you more efficientlyfollow the people you really want to listen to.
- Twalala:Put the mute button on certain people and topics for a while if you arereceiving lots of updates you’re not really interested in.
Promote your business, share photos, and more using these Twitter
- Tweetburner:Use Tweetburner to share links, and you can track their usage.
- Twitpic:Twitpic makes it easy to take mobile phone photos and share them usingyour Twitter account.
- TwitterHawk:Get targeted marketing on Twitter through TwitterHawk.
- Acamin:Acamin makes it easy to share files on Twitter with your followers.
- Glue:Post links to books, movies, restaurants and more on Twitter throughGlue.
- Ping.fm:This service will update all of your social networks at once.
- TweeTube:TweeTube makes it easy to share videos on Twitter.
- twiggit:Use this automated service to share the articles you digg on Twitter.
- Twisten.fm:Share what you’re listening to on Twitter through Twisten.fm.
Organization & Productivity
These Twitter tools will make your life a bit more streamlined.
- Twittercal:Link your Twitter account and Google Calendar to easily keep up withyour events and appointments.
- Timer:Use Timer to get reminders about tasks through your Twitter account.
- TwitterNotes:Organize your notes using Twitter with TwitterNotes.
- Remember the Milk: Use Remember the Milk on Twitter toupdate your to do list.
- Tweetake:Tweetake will back up your Twitter timeline for archiving and more.
- Nozbe:Nozbe makes it easy to add and update your to do list on Twitter.
- Toodledo:This popular to do list app integrates nicely with Twitter.
- TrackThis:Send TrackThis your tracking number, and you’ll get Twittermessages every time there’s a change in location.
- Joint Contact: Get project management productivityon Twitter using Joint Contact.
- Tempo:This time tracking tool allows you to send in updates from Twitter.
- Tweet Later: Tweet Later offers a great way to setup alerts, schedule tweets, send thank you DMs, and more.
- OutTwit:OutTwit will make it easy for you to use Twitter inside of Outlook.
- Jott:Jott makes it easy for you to tweet without ever having to type,transcribing your voice message to Twitter.
With these tools, you can work on relationships, life tracking, and
- MyMileMarker:Keep track of your mileage with info sent via Twitter every time youfill up.
- 21Tweets:21Tweets offers personal coaching on Twitter.
- TwtTRIP:Organize your travel plans and find other Twitter travelers on your waywith TwtTRIP.
- Tweet Answers: Twitter Answers makes it easy to askquestions and get answers on Twitter.
- Twtvite:Twtvite is a simple event organizer that will help you create a tweetup.
- Vacatweet:Set up an autoresponder for your Twitter account with Vacatweet.
- plusplusbot:Share when someone goes out of their way to help you, or otherwise makeyour feelings known using plusplusbot.
- TrackDailyGoals:Use this site and the #dailygoals hashtag to keep track of your goalsevery day.
- ConnectTweet:Put the voices of your group or business together through ConnectTweet.
- Tweeteorology:Find tweets about the weather in any location through Tweeteorology.
- DreamTweet:Keep a reminder of your dreams and nightmares, and follow the dreams ofothers through DreamTweet.
Business & Finance
Use these tools to improve your business and finances through Twitter.
- Chipin:If you’re raising funds on Twitter, make use of Chipin to seta goal and let your supporters track the progress of the campaign.
- Xpenser:You can Twitter your expenses to Xpenser and they will be recorded foryou.
- Twittertise:Schedule your tweets and track their clickthroughs with this appdesigned for Twitter advertising.
- TwtQpon:Create simple Twitter coupons for your business with TwtQpon.
- CheapTweet:Get all of the deals, sales, coupons and more being discussed onTwitter through CheapTweet.
- Tipjoy:Like Chipin, Tipjoy offers a way to create social payments for yourcause, content, or people.
- SalesTwit:Get contact management for Twitter with the help of SalesTwit.
- Tweet What You Spend: Track your cash in a reallyeffective way using Tweet What You Spend.
- StockTwits:StockTwits shares the investment discussions on Twitter in real time.
Track your health using these Twitter tools.
- Qwitter:Update Qwitter to shame yourself into quitting smoking.
- TweetPlot:Use TweetPlot to chart your food and fitness statistics.
- Tweetwhatyoueat:Keep a food diary to track what you’re eating every day usingTweetwhatyoueat.
- gtFtr:Use the gtFtr tool to record your exercise activity on Twittr.
- SugarStats:Track, monitor, and share your blood sugar through Twitter withSugarStats.
- FoodFeed:This Twitter-based food log makes it easy for you to track whatyou’re eating.
Bring your blog life and Twitter life together with these tools.
- Add to Any: Get your posts shared on Twitter byusing Add to Any on your WordPress blog.
- TwitThis:Make use of this plugin to send Twitter messages about your blog post.
- MyTwitter:Use the MyTwitter plugin to display your Twitter status on WordPress.
- Twitpress:Twitpress will send out a Tweet every time you post a new blog entry.
- TwitterCounter:With this plugin, you can display the number of followers you have onTwitter.
- TwitterFeed:Announce your blog post on Twitter with a customized message usingTwitterFeed.
Additional Twitter Applications
- CloudBerry TweetIE
- DM Whacker
- Instant Tweets
- Mahalo Share
- Power Twitter
- Twitter Auto Replace URL with bit.ly URL
- Twitter Friends Bio
- Twitter Integration into Google Search
- Twitter Search and Tools
- Twitter Search Bar
- Twitter Toolbar
- Excel to Twitter
- The Twitter Toolbar
- Twitter CLI
- Twitter Deskbar
- Twitter for Vim
- Twitter Public Timeline Screensaver
- What’s up?
- Yahoo Messenger Twitter Sync Plugin