As reported here on the Trading Assistant Journal, Steve Grossberg - President of the IMA, had agreed and confirmed with Dave White of the eBay and Beyond Internet Radio Program to an interview.  This interview was to occur next Saturday July 12, 2008.

Mr. Steve Grossberg, Internet Merchants Association President and Treasurer, has just informed the eBay and Beyond radio program of his decision to back out of this live radio talk show interview.  Dave White was notified of this decision via email and Dave has given the Trading Assistant Journal permission to reprint this short notice.

David

I am going to have to back out of this interview. Right now my time and energies are geared toward #1 my family, #2 my business, and #3 getting IMA moving forward. We already have an open dialouge and interactive dialouge in place for IMA members to voice their opinions and be heard.

Regards,

Steve

1Busyman's Inc.

As will be commented here and elsewhere, this is not an unexpected development.  I will say I think it is a mistake to back away from an opportunity to offer a different side of the story.  This is a move which would not have been deemed advisable by any top notch PR firm or advisor.

Mr. Grossberg's comment in the letter above, stating there is already a place for members to voice opinions seems very empty, especially if Mr. Grossberg himself will remove any members from the Association who dare to voice a differing or dissenting opinion from his own, as has been reported by numerous sources.

Dave White would like to extend an offer for any of the remaining members of the Board of Directors at the IMA to fill in for Mr. Steve Grossberg.  Former members of the Board or Ethics Committee are also welcome.  The show will still be scheduled and the topics will certainly center around the recent implosion of the IMA governing body.

ANYONE may call in to ask a question or share their story during the show: 866-357-7746

eBay & Beyond

, , , , , , ,

0 Responses to Breaking News – Internet Merchants Association President Backs Out of Confirmed Interview

1. Unbelievable July 10, 2008 at 11:23 am #

Sorry, discussing the current events got me tossed from IMA. What’s left is a TINY group of people who are so proud of themselves for getting rid of the “trouble makers”. Yes, anyone who questions the finances or puts Steve in his place is summarily removed and relabeled a trouble-maker.

Surprised he backed out? Not at all. Welcome to IMA. All talk; no follow through.

2. dina July 10, 2008 at 11:46 am #

What a coward. This guy is incredible. Even I, a long time supporter, am starting to think he should resign. He actions are not those of a leader.

3. IMA BYE BYE July 10, 2008 at 12:01 pm #

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Too funny. Wow, I wonder how much time his family is going to get for the one hour on Saturday morning. What a liar!

4. Kim - former IMA Board Member July 10, 2008 at 12:28 pm #

No shock to most of yes is correct. Steve cannot answer the questions that would be put to him without
    A) Admitting he was wrong
    B) Lying

By backing out of the radio show I believe we have our answer to the below question. Although I knew the answer because I have a copy of the proof!

DID STEVE POST INFORMATION HE RECEIVED IN A PRIVATE EMAIL TO THE IMA FORUM???

5. Larry Phillips July 10, 2008 at 1:15 pm #

First off, many existing members have emailed me to tell me that they are afraid to ask questions. They do not want to be dismissed like so many others. In addition, many members have asked for refunds, but still have skin in the game, and don’t have the IMA Forum to get questions answered.

Steve realized this was a bad idea, he’d have to open the kimono, and decided it was easier to find a reason to continue stonewalling.

Totally expected.

If Dave would like a substitute on the other side of this issue, I’d be happy to assist.

6. Scott Pooler July 10, 2008 at 1:18 pm #

Larry,

I have passed your email on to Dave White. He will be contacting you directly to make the arrangements.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate!

7. Kalamazoo July 10, 2008 at 1:41 pm #

Why are you spending so much of your time on something that effects, at most, 230 people? Are you a REAL business? If you were, you would be concentrating on something that might help the millions of eCommerce sellers you profess to help. Nothing you have posted in the last week has been helpful to any of your core audience, so why are you wasting your time? I’m starting to think your entire business is a sham.

8. Scott Pooler July 10, 2008 at 2:08 pm #

Actually,

I think this situation effects the entire eCommerce industry. The formation of the IMA started with a split from PeSA and ECMTA. There are interested merchants and eCommerce professionals on both sides of the issue and in both organizations. Many of the over 1000 members of PeSA ECMTA have been following this story, albeit respectfully and without malice. Our readership has more than doubled since we began providing a voice for the rank & file members of the IMA. I think it is worthy of my time and I will continue to follow any story I choose to follow on my publication.

I have also placed several posts into this publication in the last week which have nothing to do with the IMA. The fact that this is a hot story has simply added to the volume of articles I would normally publish here on a given week.

Thanks for following the Trading Assistant Journal and please do not be alarmed, this will not become the IMA Network. I am sure the Internet Merchants Association story will die down eventually.

And just so you know, the Trading Assistant Journal is something I do as a service for the community of Internet merchants and consignment specialists out there who choose to read this publication. It is not my primary business.

9. justagirl July 10, 2008 at 2:45 pm #

“I think this situation effects the entire eCommerce industry.”

Um, no this is an issue that effects a little over 200 eBay-centric sellers, some of whom cannot make it in the real world of ecommerce, so they need to latch on to venues like eBay and Amazon.

With that said, I think the leader of IMA is an embarrassment to himself, his family, and the organization. He has behaved in a poor manner for years on the eBay Power Seller board. This latest temper tantrum is no big surprise. It will be interesting to see who decides to keep company with this organization. You know what they say about the company you keep …..

10. Scott Pooler July 10, 2008 at 2:54 pm #

Justagirl,

Actually, from what I have been told, the IMA is not really pro eBay and the principles on the Board including Steve Grossberg are Internet Marketers not eBay sellers.

Of course there are eBay sellers in the membership, but less at the IMA, than at PeSA which started as an eBay centric organization and has expanded with the ECMTA to include ecommerce.

Thanks for your opinion and for contributing to the conversation.

11. Debbie Levitt July 10, 2008 at 11:27 pm #

I think I agree that the IMA is a fart in a tsunami of way more interesting things. Here is ALL of this scandal and unethical stuff going on, and is anybody caring? Even AuctionBytes barely covered it.

I think nobody cares about Steve and the IMA, and in thinking about it, I think that’s the best “punishment.” Let them show themselves to be so awful that people stop caring and stop joining.

They’ve just started taking departed members off their site. They’re still counting multiple people from one company, but they’re down to 213, with duplicates. There are over 1 million eBay sellers making a full or part time living selling on eBay.

In numbers, the IMA represents the tiniest fraction. In spirit and direction, the IMA represents even fewer. It will naturally go extinct unless the current Board completely resigns or is removed. Those people shouldn’t be on the Board, officers, or in any kind of power, especially after showing how they abused it.

12. Watch the actions not the words August 13, 2008 at 12:16 pm #

Just wanted to let you know IMA is doing very well and is a wealth of shared knowledge.

Smooth sailing now and things are back on track and going well.

Kirk

13. Scott Pooler August 13, 2008 at 2:04 pm #

@Kirk,

Thanks for the update…

Will you list any of other benefits of being an IMA member?

I would be happy to publish anything the IMA wants to share with the public to counter much of the bad press the organization has received of late.

Just drop me a line through the contact form, and we will try to present the other side of the story for you.

Scott