0 Responses to COMMUNICATION should be open – Not restricted! eBay – Please Read This!

1. Steve Kennedy June 27, 2008 at 12:52 pm #

This policy is all about eBay’s attempt to protect themselves from sellers doing business outside eBay. Period. The rest of the online world is opening up while eBay is circling the wagons.

When will they realize that they are chasing good sellers away with policies like this? Most sellers want to do business through eBay because of various protections. The cost of doing business is with eBay is usually worth that protection.

If they would do a better job of screening people before they become buyers or sellers, eBay would be a great community. I feel like a child that is continually being told that things are being done “for my own good”!

2. Henrietta June 27, 2008 at 2:39 pm #

Unfortunately it goes beyond restricting communication it amputates. eBay does not have a communication system, it is a dysfunctional program, frustrating for buyers and frightening for sellers who’s continued existence, listing exposure and sales depend on subjective opinions from those same frustrated buyers.

You now have a first hand example of how eBay communicates with non PowerSellers. It is not a pretty picture. Hard to believe unless you have experienced it. I have no evidence that replies are prioritized by perceived standing of the sender, but it does not seem to be a first come first served system.

San Jose, we have a problem! If there is a greater than four day lag in Trust & Safety what does the ‘to do’ pile look like everywhere else?

3. Cliff Aliperti June 27, 2008 at 11:23 pm #

Wow, Scott, great post! The timing of this freaked me out a little because I just made a post on my lowly-trafficked somewhat inactive blog last night that in part addressed eBay and communication. Since no one will likely see that, I wanted to repost that section of an otherwise long more generalized post here (the very end specifically addresses e-mail communication):

“…eBay should not pretend to be my partner if they are not allowing me to promote myself off of eBay. If you’re an eBay affiliate you’re aware that they’re affiliate program shifted to an in-house program called eBay Partner Network (EPN). When I place a link to eBay on my site, then yes, I am eBay’s partner. When eBay disallows me from placing a link on their site, well, that is just the opposite. I don’t work for eBay, or at eBay, or even with eBay, but my new stripped-down listings confirm that eBay is just a tool for me to use to sell. I use eBay. As nothing more than a user I can say that the old eBay spirit of community is dead. Not to be a jerk, but I’m okay with that, I’m there to sell, I was never really a community guy. I don’t do eBay Guides or My World or Blogs (aside: without outside links, what the hell are on the blogs but people spamming their own listings?), I save original content for my site. I embrace community on my site. I’ll reply to the rare comment found here and encourage people to sign-up for my newsletter so I can chat to them. I do my best to go above and beyond with my emails…of eBay. After all, I only have so many characters that I can place in an eBay reply and none of them can be a link to further information, so I save my good emails for those who write me off eBay.”

4. Phantom*SF June 28, 2008 at 1:26 am #

“Why on earth would eBay consider a telephone number meant for CUSTOMER SERVICE a violation of linking policy?”

Does this mean that they will be retiring Skype as well?

Robert

5. Phantom*SF June 28, 2008 at 1:41 am #

Looking at the video a bit closer, it shows an outside link to http://www.flip4mac.com/.

Possibly that could be the issue, with regards to Cornerstone?

Robert

6. Phantom*SF June 28, 2008 at 1:43 am #

oooops – that was already mentioned by John. –

7. Michael @ CharmLinda July 16, 2008 at 12:09 pm #

Scott,
    This also makes me wonder about my Ebay Drop Off Store business. We are an ebay drop off store offering ebay consignment services for those that can not or will not attempt to do ebay themselves. In order for me to get more items to list on ebay, which will make ebay more money, I list where items can be dropped off. Ebay is the best place to advertise this when I list something, No?

You wrote in the past that ebay was surprised to hear sellers thought of trust and safety as the enemy. By the way you wrote about the reaction to that statement, it seemed ebay was going to step up and make some important changes. I guess not. They seem to like the power to shut people down at will and ruin the business of many small businesses trying to grow. Its almost a shame where ebay is going with this!

Keep up the good work, Michael @ CharmLinda

8. Scott Pooler July 16, 2008 at 1:25 pm #

“In order for me to get more items to list on ebay, which will make ebay more money, I list where items can be dropped off. Ebay is the best place to advertise this when I list something, No?”

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your comments! As to your question:

Actually, for generating new drop store business, on the Internet, I would concentrate my efforts outside of eBay itself. Start with a good blog attached to your present website, write articles about the best items to bring in, what is selling on eBay, How the process works, the simplified version of your fee policy and the super succesful listings you have sold for other clients. Include your location/area in each post/article and watch the keywords for specific combinations which generate local customers. Concentrate on those keywords in future articles.

A blog can help your business place very highly in the search engines for your specific name and the keyword(s) you target. And you can import your live listings into a WordPress blog to show what your selling to new viewers. These live listings can also include an affiliate code from eBay.

eBay is not the answer when it comes to finding specific prospects for your consignment business.

Heck, if potential customers for your business had enough know how to even find the eBay Trading Assistant Directory, they probably have more than enough skill to do their own listings.

Another idea… if you have not already done this – list your business on Linda Miller’s ConsignmentPal.com and see if your found more often by leads searching the Internet search engines for a consignment service.

Call or contact me if you need any further information about blogging for your business.

9. permacrisis January 3, 2009 at 2:34 pm #

Ah, now we see why Meg was so hot to trot to get ahold of Skype– so buyers could talk on the phone with sellers, without ever getting ahold of their real-life phone number.

One has to wonder if voice recognition software could assign scores to the varius phone calls, to determine if the calls are used to make Off-Ebay sales arrangements?

If I were a betting man, I’d lay money on it.

1. Announcements at eBay Fast and Furious - Search & Links Policy Altered « Trading Assistant Journal - July 11, 2008

[…] For more of my thoughts on these policies read this […]

2. eBay Trust & Safety & Live Help Fails Miserably - Cornerstone Commercial Supply Update « Trading Assistant Journal - July 14, 2008

[…] 14, 2008 by Scott Pooler This is a follow up to: Communication Should Be Open And Live Help Communication at […]