Google Base Store Connector – Broken? – eBay Stores Owners Try This

Google Base is a wonderful thing, when it works... With Google Base and the store connector (works with more than eBay) a feed of product can be uploaded to Google shopping (the old Froogle) for free!

The idea is to create a data feed from your eBay or Yahoo store, directly to Google shopping.  All of the information to populate a listing in Google is scraped from your eBay store or yahoo stores listings - automatically.

The only problem being that the Google Base Store connector mysteriously stopped working.  I can't speculate on the cause of this mysterious failure (possible re-kindling of the eBay/Google feud?) but in any case this connection is a vital part of eBay stores marketing and I have been searching for a way to get it up and running.

It seems the only way to use Google Base at this time is manually and I have had trouble with that at times.  It may be a bit of a bother, but if you put it in your schedule once a week or so, it should help you to put your eBay stores products in front of more shoppers.  (This is a feature which should be built in to eBay Stores accounts with an automatic feed, but....)

So, I found this great step by step instruction guideline posted by a Google Base help board user "Collectorgirl".   Thanks Collectorgirl, I hope your time and effort in creating these well written instructions helps many eBay & Yahoo stores owners!

-------------------------
By collectorgirl:
JUST UPDATED THESE INSTRUCTIONS....JUNE 18, 2008 - 1:38pm
I don't work for Google, but I have an eBay store on eBay. My seller
name on eBay is snifflesmouse.

I am sharing how I successfully scheduled eBay store items for upload
to Google Base because I want to help other people like me, but any
use of this information is your responsibility. Only store items will
be uploaded, not fixed price or auction items.

How to Schedule your eBay Store Items for automatic upload to Google
Base:
1. Go to eBay and click "My eBay"
2. Click "Manage My Store" on the left side of the page
3. Click on "Listing Distribution" under promotional tools
4. Click "Activate your Store listings via RSS. (not sure if this
is needed for Google)
5. Click "Make a file of your Store Inventory listings available"
6. May need to wait at least 12 hours before you continue with
these instructions
7. When eBay provides you with a URL of your Google Base-specific
file, COPY THE URL - looks something like: http://esssl.ebay.com/GetListings/yourstorename?fmt=g
8. Login to Google Base
9. Click the "Settings" tab
10. Change your Website URL to match the Google Base URL provided by
eBay - again, looks something like: http://esssl.ebay.com/GetListings/yourstorename?fmt=g
11. Click the "My Items" tab
12. Click on the "Data Feeds" link
13. Click the "New Data Feed" button
14. Type a file name with the .xml extention - should be the name of
your store with no spaces - for example, "mystorename.xml"
15. Change the item type in the drop down menu to "Products"
16. Click the button that says: "Register data feed and continue to
formatting instructions"
17. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the button that
says: "I'm done formatting my file. Continue to upload"
18. If you need to, click the "My Items" tab, then click on the "Data
Feeds" link (or continue to step 19 below)
19. Click the "create" link next to Schedule
20. Choose when and how often you would like Google to upload your
file
21. Type the URL of the file - should match the URL provided by eBay
- the same one used in step 10 above
22. CLICK THE SCHEDULE BUTTON
23. Come back and check to see if your products have been uploaded as
scheduled - login to Google Base, click the "my items" tab, click the
"active items" link. You should see all of your store items listed
(they will not upload auction or fixed price listings)
HOPE THIS HELPS!!

Readers - Let us know if you have found a quicker, easier, or automatic solution which works....

, , , ,

14 Responses to Google Base Store Connector – Broken? – eBay Stores Owners Try This

1. Dave July 1, 2008 at 7:23 pm #

The Google Base Connector tool has been fixed. It needs to be re-downloaed though.

2. Scott Pooler July 1, 2008 at 7:27 pm #

Dave,

Thanks for the update!

Love your hand painted tile work, great stuff… what is your eBay Store or selling name?

3. Dave July 2, 2008 at 12:18 pm #

Hi Scott,

Our eBay ID is artworkontile. Our eBay store is at http://www.ArtworkOnTile.org.

Our murals are produced from high resolution scans of paintings licensed from the artist. The artwork is infused into the tiles and is very high quality.

Best regards,

Dave

4. Gemma July 5, 2008 at 4:19 pm #

It does seem to be working again.

5. Burt December 2, 2008 at 7:49 pm #

Are there companies out there that relist ebay items on google base & elsewhere monthly ???
    I have a problem uploading & updating every month…..

6. Ref December 10, 2008 at 4:55 pm #

I have run into problems if you have more than a few thousand products. It seems to kill the google tool most of the time.

7. vicki January 14, 2009 at 9:29 am #

thank you so much for the info about uploading to google base, was quite helpful. I am so fustrated with googlebase, sometimes it works- most times it doesn’t-

I am wondering- i would like to add my websitr to google base search, can you tell me where i can find the :exact: link to put on google -like you explained how to do it on ebay? I am unsure of how to figure out the URL for my site other then- http://www.toyanddolls4u.com

thanks for the help =)

8. heather March 19, 2009 at 1:49 pm #

Thanks so much for the help! worked like a dream! Store connector still does not work for me!

9. Martty March 23, 2009 at 8:00 pm #

Thanks so much for this helpful article!

10. Mike May 5, 2009 at 11:52 am #

Any word on this – I just redownloaded and same thing – no go

11. Sharon Ware June 18, 2009 at 11:57 pm #

Mike, is the file size greater than 20 mb? If so, you will need to FTP your file. http://base.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=59556&hl=en

12. Rhonda September 8, 2009 at 9:30 pm #

Hi Collectorgirl-Snifflesmouse,tried your instructions step by step, and it works like a champ! Store connector stopped working for me when I switched over to the new store pages on ebay like everyone else. Luckily I did not switch until May 2009. Thank you very much for taking the time to share.

13. Claudia September 10, 2009 at 9:01 am #

Does anyone know what the website is to download the new connector-v 1.0.0.202? I’d like to see if it works for me. THe older version did not & I’m getting REALLY frustrated! Thanks! 🙂

1. New Feature on the Trading Assistant Journal – Review Our Articles or Subjects | Trading Assistant Journal - September 24, 2009

[…] please, if you have a favorite article from years past here on the TAJ, maybe our GoogleBase Store Connector article or the PayPal Class Action article, maybe the Why eBay Drop Store Franchises Failed […]